Welcome to week #4 and tip #3 of 3 Ways Organizing Can Make Your Office More Profitable.
Now that you have the most ideal office set up, it’s time to pick your ideal tools to help your productivity. Selecting the right office equipment can help your efficiency throughout the day.
1) The third tip is: Power up your office equipment
There are 2 main tools that I love. The crosscut shredder and the all-in-one printer, scanner, copier, fax machine. It’s great to position these items close for immediate use. The less you have to move around, especially during important projects, the better. Again, I stress, limit your distractions.
- Shredder – eliminates incoming mail with personal information, and any client information that is no longer needed. Invest in a good brand and you won’t be sorry and make sure it’s a crosscut shredder. I keep mine right under my printer.
- An all-in-one printer, scanner, copier, fax machine. I prefer the one with the paper-feeder on top. It’s faster and you don’t have to sit there copying or scanning each page separately.
- A phone headset. This way you don’t have to hold a phone, strain your neck, or have shoulder pain. You can ease along your day and take the calls you need without having to limit the use of your hands.
- A label-maker. If you or an assistant have messy handwriting, a label-maker is ideal.
- A cascading file holder is great for seeing all your active files on your desk. It’s easier to see the file labels and find what you need.
- A timer. I’ve talked about having a time to increase your productivity many times. Please check out my blog here about timers.
At the end of the day, it’s about YOU being able to glide around your office, without bumping into obstacles or distractions. Choosing the best equipment that will enhance YOUR performance in the office is key.
See that was effortless…. It’s so simple, so why aren’t we doing it? We often have many projects going on at the same time. We get involved in the actual work to not immediately deal with the state of our office, as it’s not as important as the work itself. Keeping up with the systems that are created and scheduling time in your calendar is a main ingredient in productivity success.
I often talk about The Fast 15! I believe this is necessary to maintain your office efficiency and keep your systems in place. At the end of each workday, take 15 minutes to organize your desk and workload for the next day.
- Review your calendar for tomorrow noting any big deadlines and meetings.
- Add important to-dos into your calendar schedule.
- File folders and papers, which are complete and no longer needed.
- Take out folders and information needed for the next day so you’ll hit the ground running when you arrive in your office.
- Clear your desk and put away any office supplies or items used during the day so your desk is a clean slate for tomorrow.
In addition, you can do The Fast 15! at home. Before retiring to bed, take 15 minutes to organize your home and prepare for the next day’s activities.
- Straighten areas by gathering belongings and placing them in their correct designated homes.
- Neaten up as necessary to eliminate clutter.
- Review your family’s calendar to see what important appointments or activities are happening tomorrow.
- Gather items needed for the next day and place them in the launching pad area.
For all of you that face overwhelm and either don’t have the time or know where to start, let me help YOU create your simplified life.
Thank you for joining me on this journey to discover 3 Ways Organizing Can Make Your Office More Profitable. By implementing these 3 KEY tips (Systematize your filing processes, Effective office setup, Power up your office equipment) it will unlock the door to increased productivity, better health, enhanced wealth, and happiness. And who doesn’t want to be happier!
Please let me know if these were tips were helpful. I would love to hear from you in the comments.
To find out more about the book I contributed to, The Happy Law Practice: Expert Strategies to Build Business While Maintaining Peace of Mind, please visit Amazon.com here. I’m excited to share my chapter, titled Maximize Productivity: Tips for Organizing Your Office.